At the time of writing this post, GitLab doesn’t have a desktop app for Mac yet. Too lazy to learn (and memorize)
git from the command line, I tried to find a way to push/ pull files to my private GitLab repositories.
In a nutshell, these are the steps to follow to get it done:
- A GitLab account.
- A running Hugo website. (You can fork the GitLab repo here.)
- GitHub Desktop installed.
STEPS TO USE GITLAB WITH GITHUB DESKTOP:
- Inside your GitLab project, go to
Project >> Details. In project details, copy the HTTPS link.
- Go to GitHub Desktop
- In the menu bar, choose
File >> Clone Repository then click the
- Paste link and click
Clone. (Enter your login details as necessary.)
- Go to your local Terminal (or command line)
cd or change directory to project folder
- type in
- Visit localhost URL to check if site is successfully running
- Use GitHub Desktop to commit changes to your site/ GitLab repo.